Letters to the Editor

Monday 7 May 2012

INSIDE MONCTON - Lessons learned on a walkabout | The Moncton Free Press

By Roy MacMullin
The Moncton Free Press

I'm on a walkabout at the moment in ward 4 in Moncton. Yes, it's true that I've taken leave of my senses and am a candidate for councillor. Like me, you probably remember the term from the movie Crocodile Dundee, which signifies a lengthy journey, often taken by an adolescent, as part of a rite of passage. Well, the walking part of it is true, although I go home to eat, and I'm significantly older than most young people who might do this walkabout thing.  

Knocking on doors is a tradition where would-be or incumbent politicians meet voters who have the opportunity to see the beast outside of his (her) normal habitat (being the council chambers on Main Street or a photo-op). It's also part of the feedback loop, where citizens get to berate or praise those elected representatives who are responsible for all sorts of deeds. 

To get to the heart of it, what have I learned in my journey from Elmwood Drive to Gorge Road and all points north of Mountain Road and Morton?  This survey lacks scientific precision, but gives the pulse of the people.