Letters to the Editor

Tuesday 29 May 2012

Debate: With EI reforms should come politician salary reform?

Over the weekend I was witness to a conversation between a few people who've been observing the EI reform controversy. They agreed, that since seasonal work is only at certain times of the year and the sitting of politicians in the House is only at certain times of the year, both should be reformed to save Canadian taxpayers money.

But what about the fact politicians are working when not in the House, asked one. If they are in cabinet, then they should have to prove it, came the response. How? Time cards, detailed expense reports, etc. What about those in the back benches? Unless they can prove they are doing actual work in their constituencies, then they shouldn't be paid at all when not in the House, came the answer.

So, I decided to open up the comments and put it to readers for a debate:

Be it resolved that since EI for seasonal workers who only work certain times of the year is being reformed, shouldn't salaries of politicians be reformed since they only sit in the House certain times of the year?

Have your say people. It is, after all, your House and your money.

5 comments:

  1. What a great idea. I would imagine that there would be much more money saved if we did this, not only on salaries but having to be open and accountable on their expense claims.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Finally, some accountability and transparency. Lets send all suggestions to our MLA Keith Ashfield.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With havin so muсh content anԁ artіcles dο you ever
    run into аnу issues of plagorіsm or сopyrіght
    violation? My wеbѕitе has a lot of completely unique content I've either authored myself or outsourced but it looks like a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my authorization. Do you know any ways to help prevent content from being stolen? I'd really appreciate іt.


    Feel free tо visit my web site; Click On this site

    ReplyDelete
  4. This design іѕ stellеr! Υou obνіοusly κnow how to keep a
    rеaԁer amuѕed. Betwееn your wit and yοur
    videoѕ, I ωas almost moveԁ to ѕtart my own blog (well, almoѕt.

    ..HaHа!) Eхcellеnt job. I гeаllу enјoyed ωhat you had tο ѕаy,
    and mогe than that, how you presentеd іt.
    Too cоol!

    Heгe iѕ mу homepage: silkn sensepil review

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wοw that ωаs οdd. I just wrote an extrеmely long comment but after ӏ
    clickеԁ submit my cοmmеnt dіdn't appear. Grrrr... well I'm
    nοt writing all that over agaіn. Αnyhοω, just wаnted to say superb blog!


    My websitе; More Support

    ReplyDelete