Letters to the Editor

Wednesday, 15 February 2012

Natural gas leak forces evacuation in St. George, NB

At approximately 12:30 a.m. on February 15, 2012, a member of the District 1 RCMP on patrol in St. George, N.B. detected a foul smell near the intersection of Main and Portage Streets.  The St. George Fire Department and Enbridge Gas were called to the scene. The source of the smell was found to be a leaking natural gas meter serving a local business.
Ten residents of a nearby apartment building were evacuated as a precaution.  They were allowed to return to the building about an hour later.  There were no injuries.
Foul play is not suspected.